Highlights of the iDirect Broadband System
iDirect is among the pioneers of TCP/IP over satellite technology. The goal is to ensure the most efficient use of satellite bandwidth, as demand for IP over satellite continues to grows. At the same time the technology provides a business class service with enhancements at the satellite and the IP traffic level.
Key technical features include:
- Turbo Product Codes (TPC) FEC on both outroute and inroute requires 1 .5dB lower power for similar BER when compared to RSV (Reed-Salomon Viterbi) based systems.
- Pure IP-over-the-Air has lower overhead when compared to a DVB based systems with its additional MPEG framing overhead. When using a normal packet distribution, the overhead introduced by MPEG is between 15- 30%, depending on packet size distribution.
- Automatic Uplink, Frequency and Timing Control allows a very tight TDMA frame structure. This reduces space segment needed in the return channel and thus more bits/Hz.
- The Deterministic TDMA (or D-TDMA) is a contention-less access scheme with approximately 98% payload efficiency no matter what the congestion state of network. Most competitive TDMA solutions have an efficiency of about 60%.
- Carrier Size Granularity: Any carrier in an iDirect system can sized to the closest 1 bps rate. This provides a tremendous amount of savings of required satellite bandwidth. Most competitive solutions have a carrier size granularity of 128 kbps, which could result in wasted bandwidth. Thus more user IP bits/Hz.
- Small Minimum Outroute Carrier: iDirect outroute can be configured as small as 128 kbps. This is significantly smaller than a DVB outroute which is a minimum of 5 Mbps. If a network only needed 1 Mbps, then a DVB based solution would have 4 Mbps additional capacity that has to be paid for on a monthly basis. Significantly lower cost of Operations.
- 1 .2 Carrier Spacing: iDirect technologies advanced digital filters allows for a tighter roll-off factor, while meeting industry standard specifications. This provides a 14.5% savings over systems that require 1.4 spacing. Thus more user IP bits/Hz.
- Rain fade compensation with automatic uplink power control provides a higher availability of service. This results in more user IP throughput over time or higher utilization of space segment.
- Application Triggered Committed Information Rates: This allows for allocating bandwidth only when a certain type of traffic is present such as voice, resulting in a significantly higher efficiency.
- Bandwidth on Demand — Rapid Allocation: Deterministic-TDMA Rapid Bandwidth Allocation algorithms utilizes the bandwidth most efficiently as allocations happen on real time traffic demand. IDirect System analyzes and allocates bandwidth about 8 times per second.
- Application QoS: Ensures bandwidth guarantees to mission-critical application, thus allowing to size the network appropriately. As carriers are sized to meet the actual requirement rather than “Throwing bandwidth at the problem“, gives more user IP bits/Hz.
- Compressed RTP (cRTP): Voice over IP codecs are very efficient in compressing voice payload, but IP headers account for almost 66% of bandwidth needed to establish and maintain a voice call over IP. cRTP reduces the overall bandwidth needed per VoIP call by 50%.
- Local DNS Caching: DNS Caching at the remote saves satellite bandwidth by resolving DNS requests locally and not sending DNS request over-the-air, resulting in more user IP bits/Hz.
Key technical features iDirect Evolution X3:
With Evolution, we’ve made it easy to capitalize on DVB-S2. Implement the technology on your current iDirect system by adding Evolution line cards and remote routers. iDirect’s Evolution product line can deliver a 30 percent improvement in bandwidth efficiency over DVB-S1 systems. You can gain up to 50 percent more through Adaptive Coding and Modulation (ACM), an advanced feature of the DVB-S2 standard.
- Once in place, Evolution is supported by an entirely new approach to delivering platform features. Enhancements and updates to the Evolution product suite can be implemented instantly with over-the-air software upgrades.
- Proven bandwidth efficiency improvement of 50% or more
- Real-time monitoring of ACM gains through NMS
- Enhances technology is Star topology, DVB-S2/ACM outbound for greater efficiency and enhanced network availablility, Deterministic MF-TDMA return channel, automatic end-to-end Uplink Power Control for reduced downtime, Built-in TCP and HTTP acceleration, Advanced QoS and traffic prioritization
Triple-feature iDirect platform on the Telstar 11N
X3 platform Evolution Series DVB-S2 technology has been implemented. Also supported is the iDirect iNFINITI platform for existing sites as well as the iSCPC service for dedicated bandwidth demands and VoIP
iDirect VSAT for Afghanistan and Iraq
atrexx is satellite telecommunications operators with strong focus in the territory of Iraq and Afghanistan. atrexx is NATO and US Department of Defence certified.
Intelsat 14 replaces Pas1R @ 45° West
Intelsat 14 with its high-powered data services through its C- and Ku-band payload to Intelsat customers throughout Africa. IS-14 is replaceing Intelsat's 1R, providing customers with capacity that has a useful life slated to last the next 16 years.